Home

Go Back   .: XT660.com - The #1 XT660 Resource :. > XT660Z Ténéré > XT660Z Ténéré Tech Section
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Main site

Google

XT660Z Ténéré Tech Section Tyres, Mods, Luggage & Long distance preparation

Old 11-08-18, 19:17
XT-Moto SuperStar

Chalk Two is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Solitario View Post
A replacement engine seems to be best choice

but

Sorry, as far as I know MZ only used the old 660 engine with 5 valves. Won't fit !

Werner
Sorry buddy.MZ used the 660 4 valve XT engine

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...hira-660/2001/
Old 11-08-18, 20:03
SemiPro XT-Moto

Smias is on a distinguished road
No way, MZ Baghira used the old 5valve motor, same as xtz660 Tenere.

Vasilis/Bill

xt660z 10ere
Old 11-08-18, 21:37
Expert XT-Moto

Il Solitario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalk Two View Post
Sorry buddy.MZ used the 660 4 valve XT engine

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...hira-660/2001/
If you have a look at your link, you will see under "Specification":
Engine type.........5v single cylinder, 5 gears
It's the old engine with 5 valves

Cheers
Werner
Old 12-08-18, 15:27
XT-Moto SuperStar

Chalk Two is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Solitario View Post
If you have a look at your link, you will see under "Specification":
Engine type.........5v single cylinder, 5 gears
It's the old engine with 5 valves

Cheers
Werner
Sorry for the confusion but it clearly states in the same MCN article it's the same liquid cooled engine as used in the XT660 and the MT03 and in the Pegaso Strada and it's a Pegaso Strada I got my engine from for my Tenere. I'm only passing on what the bike press have said, coupled with the fact I have used an Aprilia engine, which was just plug-n-play. Something is not quite right then?........don't believe everything you read.....or the press, unless you're like me and don't read it all...My bad!!

Last edited by Chalk Two; 12-08-18 at 18:15.
Old 30-09-18, 12:26
Newbie XT-Moto

Murf is on a distinguished road
Gearbox x 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
As you may have read elsewhere, it has become apparent that there are a number of MY2009 XT660Z Ténérés that have suffered from premature gearbox failure, usually the dogs shearing on either third or fourth gear. I don’t want to make anyone unduly worried; this appears only to be a problem with a small batch of 2009 built XTZ models, it doesn’t seem to affect XTX, XTR, or for that matter XTZ models from any other years apart from 2009. We are only talking of seven bikes identified on this forum (which has over 10,000 members), so no need to panic! However, there does seem to be a pattern developing that’s worth investigating further and possibly pursuing with Yamaha, especially so if you had the misfortune to suffered a broken gearbox, or perhaps own a 2009 Ténéré with sticky gears, false neutrals etc.

What I am attempting to do is build an accurate picture of what is happening, and in particular try and determine if there is any pattern to the failures in order to put a case to Yamaha on behalf of all the owners who have suffered this issue. There is greater strength in numbers and when you have the facts at hand.

If you currently (or have) owned a Ténéré that has had a gearbox failure, I would be very grateful if you could supply me with some basic details of the bike concerned. If you no longer own the bike, it would still be really helpful if you could still provide the details (or as much as you can remember) if you can.

In order to put a valid case to Yamaha, I realistically need as many sets of VIN and engine numbers as possible. The more details we get, the more forcefully I will be able to pursue the issue with Yamaha and the more likely that they will investigate it further, which at this stage, I would suggest is the main aim.

So, if you are one of the unlucky few, and you can help, then please provide me details in the following format by PM (for obvious security reasons):

<b>
Forum member/owner:
Engine number:
VIN number:
Date of first registration:
Country of registration:
Odometer reading at time of failure:
Date of failure:
Gear failed:

</b>

Note: Do not post this information on the open forum.

Many thanks. I’ll do what I can, as much as anything, because I know how I’d feel if the same misfortune befell me.

I have a 2012 XTZ 660 Tenere. Gearbox failed at 27636 kms (17272 miles). Whole engine & gearbox including engine casings was rebuilt under guarantee. New piston rings but only original piston retained from original engine.
Now have 53473 kms (33420 miles) on the new engine & gearbox and the gearbox has failed again. Bike is currently in workshop and engine is about to be split again.
Looks like 4th gear failure. The bike would often get stuck in 4th gear and was not able to change up or down. Eventually after a lot of fiddling with my foot while freewheeling it would change up to 5th but never down to 3rd. After getting it up to 5th I could change gears again for a while if I changed very carefully and deliberately. Also a rattle started to come from somewhere towards the front lower left hand side of the engine.
Currently the bike is in the workshop. Clutch stripped & nothing wrong there. Oil drained and we have discovered a piece of metal (magnetic) which has appeared at the drain hole but is too big to get out the drain hole. Engine has to be split. I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links