Home

Go Back   .: XT660.com - The #1 XT660 Resource :. > XT660X & XT660R > XT660X/R Tech Section > XT660X Tyres
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Main site

Google

View Poll Results: XTX Specific Tyre poll - Vote your favourite tyres
Avon Distanzia 39 23.93%
Avon Azaro-SP Pro-Xtreme Rain 2 1.23%
Bridgestone BT-090 15 9.20%
Continental 7 4.29%
Dunlop 17 10.43%
Maxxis 9 5.52%
Michelin Pilot 37 22.70%
Metzler 11 6.75%
Pirelli Dragon (Original tyres) 18 11.04%
Other Brands - please specify 12 7.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-09-09, 13:51
SemiPro XT-Moto

contrarian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeans View Post
Hi

I'm about to get a new rear tire for my xtx. Has anyone here ever tried the michelin pilot road 2ct? I'm hoping for some durability, does anyone have any approx. miles? What other models are equivalent to the 2ct?
appriciate quick response, gotta order soon...
I've put a set of Goldspeed Ultra Street Supermoto tires. Rear one lasted 3000 km. Then I put Pilot Road 2 2CT in the rear as it a sport touring tire, so should last much much longer. I've left Goldspeed in the front as the front lasts for ages. So this combination is great for me as the rear end lasts for a long time because of the dual compound tech. Also it has a sharper profile than the rest of the sport touring tires, which makes a good fit for the Goldspeed front.

So, in the future, I think I will always put super sport in the front and sport touring in the rear, for obvious reasons (I don't have money to change rear every 3000 km )

And amongst the sport touring class, Road 2 2CT is in the top. Others to consider: Metzeler Z6 Interact & Dunlop Roadsmart
Old 22-01-10, 14:26
Expert XT-Moto

mrfijjitt is on a distinguished road
Had Distanzias fitted today. HOORAY!!!
Shame it's raining heavy tho. Too wet for me on new tyres anyway.
I'm pretty sure the old tyres were what the bike was born with.
3400 miles later the rear definately had a nice flat on it and although the front tyre looked ok to me, the first corner out of the workshop and I went round the corner somewhat easier than normal. Nearly over-steered! funny how you can get used to 'wear' almost unnoticed until you get new tyres on.
I know they need a little wearing in, so will wait for the rain to stop, tomorrow the experts say, and before I set off check the tyre pressure because the lovely dude at the tyre place has probably inflated both tyres to the recommended pressure, which I'm lead to believe is probably too high.
I seem to remember reading here somewhere that 28 ish is probably fine?
I'm also thinking that when loaded with luggage and passenger I need to inflate the rear a little more, is this right?
Bring on the dry weather.
30MM HANDLEBAR RISERS TOPBOX MOUNT 08 XTX SORTED, ALMOST.

...SHEEPSKIN - Because a pain at the rear is not just a moany pillion.
Old 22-01-10, 21:25
Expert XT-Moto

drb277 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfijjitt View Post
before I set off check the tyre pressure because the lovely dude at the tyre place has probably inflated both tyres to the recommended pressure, which I'm lead to believe is probably too high.
I seem to remember reading here somewhere that 28 ish is probably fine?
When I had mine fitted the guy that fitted them put the Avon recommended pressure in and not the 28-30ish Yamaha recommend. The pressures were far to high, quite scary riding home. Once I'd corrected to the Yamaha figures much better. Still took my time mind for the first 100 miles but they just got better and better. Great Choice.
Mods so far:- Kev Mod/Snorkel Removed/Airbox Drilled/CO2 Upped/Cush Drive Mod/M.T.C. Exhaust/Avon Distanzias:avon: Fitted/NGK Iridium Spark Plug/H4 Bulb Upgrade/White Wheel Trim/Scotoiler/Hand Guards.

Old 07-09-10, 01:00
Junior XT-Moto

SWR is on a distinguished road
After 3000 miles my rear pirelli dragon is almost gone.
The tire is good when its dry and stuff but in the wet its horrible.
First time I drove in the wet with them I had a 20 meter drift through a corner.
Drifting is fun but not when you don't expect it.

Looking into the Avon at the moment, been reading good things about them.
Old 19-06-11, 14:17
Junior XT-Moto

FZ1 Racer is on a distinguished road
Mutants

Had my xtx for just over 3 weeks now from new and loving it,had sports bikes for years but this is way more fun on the back roads,anyway I've got the OE Pirellis on,have found them ok in the dry,good lean angles,grippy when warm,no wet riding as yet but rear already looking iffy after just 908 miles,I've been looking at the Dunlop Mutants as replacements but u all seem to rave about the Avons,prefer the look of the Dunlops but it's how they hang on that matters so don't know what to go for now,seems as people like both on here.....help
Old 04-07-11, 19:30
Junior XT-Moto

jusu is on a distinguished road
Dunlop RoadSmart

I've not pretty much finished my first rear tyre on the XTX, Dunlop RoadSmart lasted for about 6000km, might have 2000 left in it if need be. I did have a bit of a problem with the inner tube keeping the pressure in, so I have ridden it occasionally with too low pressures, so you should expect more from that tyre. The grip is very good, I have yet to find a clean tarmac corner where that tyre would slide, I might be a sissy though. Front tyre is in very good condition still.

I'll probably go for something a bit more multi purpose on the next set, since the tyre shows pretty bad gashes of dirt road usage, I'm afraid I might get a puncture if I get unlucky. My use, 60% commuting, 30% twisties, 10% dirt.
Old 07-07-11, 22:36
Expert XT-Moto

hushy is on a distinguished road
got my rear tyre changed this week, got 3100miles out the pirelli dragons. Fitted a distanzia for £118. Don't know yet how good it is but looks big and chunky.
hushy
Old 08-07-11, 12:07
Banned

waynovetten is on a distinguished road
I've 3500 miles on the bike from new,it's had 3 rears and 2 fronts,have had to go to Road Smarts to make e'm last,how the hell you guys get mileage out a Dragon I've now idea,mine did 1000 miles and it completey scrap,nice to ride,but just hopeless wear wise.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 02:49
XT-Moto SuperStar

afk40 is on a distinguished road
Hushy,, ye will NOT go wrong wi a Distanza........ the best fur these bikes... wet or dry
Old 09-07-11, 16:35
Expert XT-Moto

bikespod is on a distinguished road
Distanzias all the way. In 20 years of all year round riding, I've never experienced wet weather grip like these. Even better in the dry. Can't fault them, except on longevity, but you can't have it all.