Home

Go Back   .: XT660.com - The #1 XT660 Resource :. > XT660Z Ténéré > XT660Z Ténéré General Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Main site

Google

XT660Z Ténéré General Discussions Everything and anything of general topic in relation to the new Ténéré is discussed here

Old 10-11-11, 12:46

Pleiades is on a distinguished road
It's probably not the engine/gearbox/clutch... it'll be another panel/part rattling. The fairing area is a good source of rattles on the Z and because you sit behind it any noises are reflected back and often sound like they're from the motor. A good start is to take the screen off and ride it without and see if it goes away. I had to use cut up inner tube between the headlight unit and the plastic around it to cure a vibratory rattle soon after getting the bike.
Old 10-11-11, 17:03
XT-Moto SuperStar

minkyhead is on a distinguished road
the top bolt in the head light cowl .. at the front opposite the clocks cowel came loose on mine ..and that made a right viby sound ..

could the front sprocket be getting a bit spiked ??
Old 09-03-12, 09:02
Newbie XT-Moto

XRizal is on a distinguished road
hey guys,

i know the date ia abit way back but i've found the true cause for my rattling issue after sooooooo long!!!

apparently the givi crashbar that is mounted had a major break at one of the welding areas near the engine guard area...not sure how that happened as this bike has never been dropped...not even on the side...

anyways i got it welded back to its original position and the rattling stopped completely...took me so long to notice as the breakage area was not obvious...can be seen only when i pulled the crashbar from the frames...
Old 09-03-12, 10:09
XT-Moto SuperStar

SimonRoma is on a distinguished road
These bikes like to keep us er well ...... on our toes!!!! Hehe.
Plus: smoked Puig screen, Yam aluminium sump guard, Yamaha / Acerbis handguards, Givi Trekker aluminium side cases, Leo Vince X3 cans plus Kev front fork mod and Fender Xtender. Just fitted Michelin Road Pilot 3 tyres.

SOLD the XTX for a Super Ten 1200. And just bought a Raptor 700 so staying on here for some tips....
Old 27-03-12, 17:08
XT-Moto SuperStar

Ohlins is on a distinguished road
Me: I don't give a f**k what you think.

.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 13-08-18, 21:01
SemiPro XT-Moto

Chev. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
The fairing area is a good source of rattles on the Z and because you sit behind it any noises are reflected back and often sound like they're from the motor. A good start is to take the screen off and ride it without and see if it goes away. I had to use cut up inner tube between the headlight unit and the plastic around it to cure a vibratory rattle soon after getting the bike.
Thanks for this advice. After reading this yesterday, I decided to check out the front fairing today, as some part(s) in that area appeared to to be the source(s) of 'my' rattles (rattling at certain RPMs, also when gear in neutral). It helped somewhat simply to tight up things a little. And then, a bit surprised, I realised that the sound was produced by the windshield vibrating towards the black plastic around the headlight. I rolled up some bits of black electric insulating tape, with the sticking side outwards, so they became small self adhering patches - and tucked them between the windshield and the plastic, in four vibrating areas along the edge. Worked perfect!

I even felt this had countered a source of an amplifying effect, and by that reducing the vibrations of the bike overall. - But that I take as a placebo effect caused by my euphoria from having eliminated the rattle sound.

Anyway, all joy
1996 XRV750, 2003 R1150GS.
Sponsored Links
Old 17-08-18, 08:59
Expert XT-Moto

hannesd is on a distinguished road
open the side cases of the engine and check, and replace gaskets if torn.
only way to be sure if no big nut came loose.
try listening to the engine when standing next to it and giving it throttle to 4200-4700 rpm. you might find wich side it could be. (and cover the exhaust with a thick cloth to dampen the exhaustnoise.
Old 18-08-18, 16:58
XT-Moto SuperStar

redbikejohn is on a distinguished road
If all covers and headlight is ok it might be the crank nut on rhs. On high mileage bikes it can come lose. I thought it was a bad bearing at first but crank nut was lose.