Home

Go Back   .: XT660.com - The #1 XT660 Resource :. > XT660 Tech Section > Performance Modifications & Enhancements > Engine & Gearbox
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Main site

Google

Old 26-06-16, 20:52
XT-Moto SuperStar

maxwell123455 is on a distinguished road
Sorry i cant be of help but fair play on stripping the old engine and fitting the new engine
Old 27-06-16, 13:17
Expert XT-Moto

Shaolinfist is on a distinguished road
Thanks Maxwell it was a lot easier thanks to Kev as he posted step by step instructions with pictures here on the forum for how to remove the engine which were very helpful. I just had to reverse the process to get it back in. It was very tricky getting the mounting bolts in though i must say, especially trying to line up the bottom of the engine with the swingarm bolt. Looking forward to trying to repair the knackered one still.

2006 XT660X - Cat D write off due to someone pulling out on me - Pipewerx carbon fibre exhausts - Snorkel removed and airbox drilled - DNA stage 1 + 2 air filters - Kevs fuel controller mod - Scottoiler V system - Oxford heated grips - HEL braided brake hoses - Wilbers 540 rear shock - Brembo brake pads - AFAM chain and sprockets - Michelin Pilot Street Radial's - Denali DX Xtreme dual intensity spotlights
Old 11-10-18, 12:40
Newbie XT-Moto

Ferg is on a distinguished road
Did you get to the bottom of the cause (excuse the pun)?
Old 11-10-18, 17:32
Expert XT-Moto

Yes I did the 3rd pinion gear blew to bits and smashed up the bottom end. I blame myself as I should have changed the oil after riding to Paris and back flat out. The oil looked pretty ****ed when I drained it.

2006 XT660X - Cat D write off due to someone pulling out on me - Pipewerx carbon fibre exhausts - Snorkel removed and airbox drilled - DNA stage 1 + 2 air filters - Kevs fuel controller mod - Scottoiler V system - Oxford heated grips - HEL braided brake hoses - Wilbers 540 rear shock - Brembo brake pads - AFAM chain and sprockets - Michelin Pilot Street Radial's - Denali DX Xtreme dual intensity spotlights
Old 12-10-18, 09:54
Newbie XT-Moto

Ferg is on a distinguished road
Thanks, yes Kev kindly told me to change out 3rd and 4th gears if I am going to strip the engine (suspected big end gone, just waiting for bore camera off eBay ).
Will post the photos of how I’ve got the Offtheroad oil cooler fitted to my Tenere.
Runs a lot cooler. As you know oil deteriorated exponentially for ever 10 deg C above 80 deg C. But on downside, oil that is run too cold will absorb moisture and cause rust corrosion, so worth running with thermostat.
Old 12-10-18, 10:34
Expert XT-Moto

An aftermarket oil cooler? Never knew they did them but can't be a bad thing I guess.

Sponsored Links