Home

Go Back   .: XT660.com - The #1 XT660 Resource :. > XT660 Tech Section > Performance Modifications & Enhancements > Engine & Gearbox
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Main site

Google

Old 27-09-10, 03:46
Administrator

Kev is on a distinguished road
Who said we cant get 60HP from a standard XT660 motor, I am nearly there, a +3mm throttle body should do the trick.

Ok the results from these mods.

Standard XT660X motor.
PCIII
Carbon Can exhausts
DNA stage 3 Air box
Stage 2 Hot cam

A 31% gain in HP over a standard XT660X

58.96HP @ 7000rpm
48.68 Ft/lbs @ 5500rpm

The best run we got was 59.11HP. So I think the stroker crank is going to be the next mod.

I am not here trying to be the king of the castle just trying to provide all the facts to see what Hp we can get from this standard XT motor. The Dyno testing today was carried out by Dynojet Australia.

Mods that I have done to my XTX's

My 04 XTX
Stage 1 & 2 DNA filters / Kev fuel mod / snorkel mod / Drilled air box mod / Engine breather mod / Fork Spacer mod / 15w fork oil /
[
My 07 XTX
Raptor 700 cylinder 102mm / Modified Crank Case to take a 105mm Raptor Cylinder / 11:1 102mm JE Raptor piston / Stage 1 Raptor Hot Cam / Ported head / Colder Spark Plug / +2mm Throttle body / DNA stage 1 & 2 filters / Modified Air Box / Snorkel removed / Worry Brothers stage 2 filter cover / 6mm & 8mm Bolts Replaced with Titanium Bolts / Recovered seat in Black / O2 Eliminator /

My 09 XTX
59HP at the rear wheel / Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam / DNA stage 3 Air Box / Carbon Can Exhausts / Modified Exhaust Link Pipes / PCIII With Custom Fuel Map / Wideband Commander O2 Data logger / LCD100 Dyno Jet display & fuel adjuster / 2500 OHM HT lead instead of a 10K OHM XT lead / Extra Coolant Cooler / Protaper Fat Bars / Tail Tidy With LED Tail Light / OKE Protection Knobs / LED indicators / AIS blocked / Modified rear sprocket rubbers / Rear Foot Pegs removed / 09 ECU With 02 Sensor Changed To A 06 ECU / Complete wiring harnes Changed from 09 to 04 / Home made LED resistor flasher / Hole drilled in the fuel tank filler neck to allow quicker filling / Modified Bar End Weights / Progressive front fork springs, 15W fork oil, forks lowered 25mm, used XTR rear links lowering the rear 20mm, rear spring one click stiffer / Changed front & rear guards from blue to black / 47T rear sprocket / Speedo Healer V4.0 / Kev throttle cam mod / Throttle grip mod / The new 2010 O2 sensor mod is out, works a treat, The new 2012 O2 Controller is out, PM me for details

Now ride a 2018 MT09SP ABS + TCS

My KTM 990 SMR Mod book. http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4946

Last edited by Kev; 27-09-10 at 08:48.
Old 27-09-10, 16:42
XT-Moto SuperStar

richardsracingmad is on a distinguished road
Blimey !! a cracker of a result there.....maybe put the cost of it on here !!!!

A very effective cheap power gain...............

are you sure you're not trying to beat us all????? With a stroker crank, you will have a real flyer....................
Old 27-09-10, 17:22
Expert XT-Moto

Freez is on a distinguished road
Congrats Kev. Brilliant end result.

I crunched some math and the volumetric efficiency is off the charts. Some of the highest I have ever seen actually.

It leads me to think that if you don't run a +3TB yet, mathematically it is highy unlikely that the TB will give you much more power. A larger throttle body will only give you more power if the smaller TB is restrictive and by looking at the VE values, that is not the case. Plus a larger TB normally also reduces low end power output.

Disclaimer: any mod undertaken, are carried out at owners risk

Old 27-09-10, 19:53
XT-Moto SuperStar

that was more than an hour's work, fitting and dialling it in. ?.....Nice job Kev !!

Last edited by richardsracingmad; 27-09-10 at 20:09.
Old 27-09-10, 22:33
XT-Moto SuperStar

dazmatic is on a distinguished road
well, technically, I quite believe it's an hours work. Fitting the cam at least. The dialing it in with the PC3 is a little bit more than that, then dyno run etc.

Just a case of removing the covers, slackening the few nuts off, making sure you don't drop the chain. Ensure the timing marks all line up when you put it back together and voila, Stage 2!

I'm certainly interested.

Where did you get it from Kev? and the Raptor bits?

CCC Stainless Rounds, Stage 1 DNA, Stage 2 DNA, PCV With Custom Autotune Map, PCV AutoTune, Home made O2 eliminator, Self machined Fork Spacers, DIY Autotune Switch.
Old 28-09-10, 04:22
XT-Moto SuperStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsracingmad View Post
that was more than an hour's work, fitting and dialling it in. ?.....Nice job Kev !!
Daz...I think you missed the subtleness of my comment..
Old 30-09-10, 00:36
Administrator

The HP gain is great up top , but comes with a hole in the torque between 2500/4000rpm.

Below is the latest mods on BLUE, against my big bore 102mm 11:1 & a stage 1 hot cam stage 1 & 2 filters In RED.

Next dyno run shows the blue line by just adding a stage 2 hotcam & a stage 3 air box to the green line mods. Hopefully a stroker crank will get that bottom end back. There is such a big difference when adding the stage 2 hot cam & stage 3 airbox over 10 hp at peak.

Last dyon run is a stage 2 hot cam in BLUE against the standard XT660 cam in RED.

My 04 XTX
Stage 1 & 2 DNA filters / Kev fuel mod / snorkel mod / Drilled air box mod / Engine breather mod / Fork Spacer mod / 15w fork oil /
[
My 07 XTX
Raptor 700 cylinder 102mm / Modified Crank Case to take a 105mm Raptor Cylinder / 11:1 102mm JE Raptor piston / Stage 1 Raptor Hot Cam / Ported head / Colder Spark Plug / +2mm Throttle body / DNA stage 1 & 2 filters / Modified Air Box / Snorkel removed / Worry Brothers stage 2 filter cover / 6mm & 8mm Bolts Replaced with Titanium Bolts / Recovered seat in Black / O2 Eliminator /

My 09 XTX
59HP at the rear wheel / Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam / DNA stage 3 Air Box / Carbon Can Exhausts / Modified Exhaust Link Pipes / PCIII With Custom Fuel Map / Wideband Commander O2 Data logger / LCD100 Dyno Jet display & fuel adjuster / 2500 OHM HT lead instead of a 10K OHM XT lead / Extra Coolant Cooler / Protaper Fat Bars / Tail Tidy With LED Tail Light / OKE Protection Knobs / LED indicators / AIS blocked / Modified rear sprocket rubbers / Rear Foot Pegs removed / 09 ECU With 02 Sensor Changed To A 06 ECU / Complete wiring harnes Changed from 09 to 04 / Home made LED resistor flasher / Hole drilled in the fuel tank filler neck to allow quicker filling / Modified Bar End Weights / Progressive front fork springs, 15W fork oil, forks lowered 25mm, used XTR rear links lowering the rear 20mm, rear spring one click stiffer / Changed front & rear guards from blue to black / 47T rear sprocket / Speedo Healer V4.0 / Kev throttle cam mod / Throttle grip mod / The new 2010 O2 sensor mod is out, works a treat, The new 2012 O2 Controller is out, PM me for details

Last edited by Kev; 30-09-10 at 04:02.
Old 30-09-10, 00:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freez View Post
Congrats Kev. Brilliant end result.

I crunched some math and the volumetric efficiency is off the charts. Some of the highest I have ever seen actually.

It leads me to think that if you don't run a +3TB yet, mathematically it is highy unlikely that the TB will give you much more power. A larger throttle body will only give you more power if the smaller TB is restrictive and by looking at the VE values, that is not the case. Plus a larger TB normally also reduces low end power output.

Thanks Freez it is always nice to have your input. The XT feels so crisp from 5500rpm upwards, I just need to get the bottom end back using the 100mm XT 660 piston to prove you can build a cheap fast XT660.

Do you have any dyno results using a 5mm stroker crank on the Raptors? I have been searching for dyno runs with befores & afters, having asked a few Raptor boys but have no luck in finding the HP & Torque gains just from the stroker crank.

My 04 XTX
[
My 07 XTX

My 09 XTX

Old 30-09-10, 01:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazmatic View Post
well, technically, I quite believe it's an hours work. Fitting the cam at least. The dialing it in with the PC3 is a little bit more than that, then dyno run etc.

Just a case of removing the covers, slackening the few nuts off, making sure you don't drop the chain. Ensure the timing marks all line up when you put it back together and voila, Stage 2!

I'm certainly interested.

Where did you get it from Kev? and the Raptor bits?
A stage 2 hot cam can be bought off Ebay or get one through Daniel from the states.

You will also need to buy the 700 Raptor decompression bits & cam sprocket, have a look at my Raptor conversion for all the bits.

My 04 XTX
[
My 07 XTX

My 09 XTX

Old 30-09-10, 08:12
Expert XT-Moto

Freez is on a distinguished road
Hi Kev.

Yes I have a dyno run of a stroked, stock bore raptor, running a stage 2 cam, versus a stock bore and stroker running similar mods. I will need to go look for it.

From what I can recall, the stroked, stock bore gained lots of low end torque, but lost out on peak power versus the stock bore and stroker.

But, this might not be a bad mod for the XT, since the stroker lost power after the 7000 to 9000 RPM range, and the Xt does not allow you to rev there anyway.

Also, found something very interesting just now. Compleate raptor 700 102mm barrel, gasket set and high compression piston, for $560. All brand new parts.

http://www.cylinder-works.com/index....productid=1686

Disclaimer: any mod undertaken, are carried out at owners risk

Sponsored Links